Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Battle of Britain Indecision

Decisions, decisions.
One of the things I've set out to do this summer is to model the aircraft of the Battle of Britain, with a particular slant towards the RAF and their brave effort. To that end, I have managed to secure a few aircraft models, though, admittedly, I am top heavy with Spitfires (what can I say, I'm a Spitfirephile). Of the Luftwaffe aircraft, I only have three; the Airfix Ju-87B, the MPC/Airfix Ju-88A4 and a bagged Airfix Bf-109E.
Here's where the trouble occurs.
You see, the Bf-109E kit was purchased for $1 in a Heller T-28 box with parts from other Bf-109's, an F and a K. Nothing was guaranteed at the time of purchase, and let's face it, $1 is very little money even for a bag of parts. In the latest analysis of the box, here's what I have -

-a nearly complete Heller Bf-109F, sans canopy
-an Airfix Bf-109E... missing many parts
-the wheels and cannon from the old Airfix Bf-109G
-a single sprue of Bf-109K parts
-three Bf-109E canopies; two Hasegawa, one Airfix

It was the Bf-109E I really wanted to build first, since it was on strength with the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain. It is very far from complete (horizontal stabilizers, braces, landing gear covers, tailwheel, seat, scoops). I could use the Heller Bf-109F kit to complete the Airfix model, but some parts won't work right; besides, I don't want to wreck a classic model like that (anyway, one of those "E" canopies can easily be modified to work with the model).
I could scratchbuild the missing parts, or hit the spares box.
Or I could just wait and buy another model.
If the Airfix Bf-109E is to be written off, then what kit next? An early combatant, perhaps? That'd be one of my Hurricane Mk.I's.
I have two of the wonderful Airfix Hurricane Mk. I's, plus the older Mk. I/IIB kit (not as wonderful, but okay). One of the Airfix kits is actually the Heller issue and comes with markings for a ship from the 306th (Polish) Squadron during the Battle of Britain, but there are questions about the propeller used, and some minor details that need to be corrected (the anti-dazzle plates ahead of the cockpit). The right proper Airfix kit is for Robert Stanford Tuck's "DT-A" and appears to be close to 100% accurate; this will probably be the first of the Hurricanes built.
If I go that way.
Still, the challenge of scratchbuilding the missing pieces for the Bf-109E has a strange allure to it. Now, if I can just make up my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment